How to Improve Your Sleep Habits
Everyone has had at least one night of poor sleep in their life, while many others suffer from poor sleep quality throughout their entire life. Most people live busy lives, and it is rare to hear someone say that they couldn’t use a little more time to sleep a few times every week. Do you have trouble falling asleep when you want to and find yourself feeling exhausted in the morning and want tips to help improve your sleep?
5 Tips to Help Improve Your Sleep Habits
- Wake up at the same time every day – Set a routine time to wake up each day and stick to it instead of sleeping in occasionally to help you improve sleep and adjust to the sleep schedule you want.
- Avoid consuming anything but water & required medications 3 hours before bedtime – Stay away from: alcohol, caffeine & other stimulants, and eating late to avoid sleep disturbances.
- Keep your home at a comfortable temperature at night – Setting your thermostat to a comfortable temperature at night will help you fall asleep more easily and with less interruption. It is also a great idea to use sheets that stay cool to improve your sleep and avoid waking up feeling uncomfortably warm.
- Stay away from smart phones, computers, and social media at least 1 hour before you want to sleep – Digital activities such as texting, checking social media, gaming, and aimless web browsing stimulate our minds. Put your gadgets away at least 1 hour before you want to sleep.
- Set a bedtime routine – Do something relaxing an hour before you want to sleep. Get out of bed and do something relaxing until you feel tired if it takes you too long to fall asleep.
Talk to a medical professional about any concerns you have about insomnia or to get more information about other ways you can improve your sleep habits.