How Dentists Create Custom Crowns and Veneers
Dental crowns and veneers are two types of restorative cosmetic dentistry procedures that can enhance the appearance of your smile by restoring discolored, chipped, cracked, crooked, or rotting teeth.
Though both veneers and crowns can improve your smile, the best option for you depends on the state of your teeth. Crowns are best suited for teeth that are damaged or rotting while veneers are a better choice for cosmetic purposes like shape or color correction.
Veneers are less invasive than crowns, because a porcelain veneer covers the front portion of a tooth, while a dental crown fits over the entire tooth. Crowns require the tooth to be significantly ground down in preparation, while veneers require minimal filing to roughen the surface for proper bonding.
How Dental Crowns are Created
Our studio utilizes the latest CEREC technology to offer fully customized, high-quality porcelain crowns in one visit. The process is faster and easier than ever before.
How Dental Studio 101 creates your custom crown:
- An intraoral camera takes a digital impression of your tooth.
- CEREC software creates a virtual model of your tooth.
- The dentist uses the virtual model of your tooth to construct a digital restoration.
- A milling machine creates the crown from the digital model.
- The in-house lab ensures the crown is perfectly sized, shaped, and shaded.
- The dentist immediately places the crown over your tooth.
How Dental Veneers are Created
Our in-house lab not only streamlines the appointment process but also greatly improves the quality and look of veneers.
How Dental Studio 101 creates your custom porcelain veneers:
- Our team makes a custom mold of your teeth.
- The in-house lab creates your custom veneers based on your preferences, face shape, and mouth.
- The tooth/teeth enamel is filed to create a rough surface for bonding.
- The veneer is attached to the tooth with a special bonding agent that’s hardened with a UV lamp.
Why Color Matching is Important
Veneers and crowns should be custom-made to complement your mouth and face shape for a seamless smile. Color matching is a crucial step in the process, especially if you’re applying veneers or crowns to one or two front teeth only.
Dental Studio 101 has an on-site dental lab and master ceramist, which means the entire process of creating your custom dental crown or veneers is completely done in-house. Having an on-site laboratory allows us better control of your treatment – and the quality of our products – from check-up to installation.
Instead of just relying on notes and images, our technicians can evaluate your mouth personally to ensure that the color, shape, size, and direction of your restoration match not just the rest of your teeth, but your facial features, too.
When you choose Dental Studio 101 for your cosmetic dental treatments, you don’t have to wait weeks or even days to see the final results. We have the skills and the facility to deliver the best dental restorations without multiple visits.